Holy Skites of Mount Athos
SKITI TIMIOU PRODROMOU (RUMANIAN)
This Rumanian cenobetic Skite, until 1854, it was a Greek cell. In 1856 it become Skite and occupied by Moldavian monks. The main temple it was built in 1857 and it is named in honor of St. John Prodromos. All the paintings are made by Rumanian painters in 1863. Today lives there 25 Rumanian monks. The Kiriako consists saint’s relics and icons. One of them is the Panagia Aheropeetos. The library consists 5000 print books -most of them in Rumanian language- and 130 manuscripts. Near the Skite, in a place called Vigla, lies the cave of Agios Athanasios. The Skite belongs to Megisti Lavra monastery.